Thursday, January 7, 2010

Money well spent?

Monday was my birthday and my sister's boyfriend Ryan got me a gift certificate to my favourite breakfast restaurant: the Falafel Place. But this isn't just any ordinary gift certificate, you see I'm not entirely sure that it's legit...then again the story behind it doesn't surprise me as Ami (the owner) has a pretty laid back way of running the show over there, so I'm sure the gift certificate will work out just fine when I go to use it. Nevertheless, I've decided to recount Ryan's story that continues to humour me today.

Ryan's experience with Ami:

Ryan enters the Falafel Place which is likely bustling with eager customers awaiting their food, cooks cracking eggs at a rapid pace, and Ami --probably found wearing his chef's hat chatting with customers and making friends or shouting at the top of his lungs: "Okay, who's leaving?".

Ryan walks up to the counter . Ami greets Ryan at the counter. Ryan asks Ami for one gift certificate worth twenty-five dollars. A simple task right? Surely one assumes that most restaurants have an organized little book of gift certificates somewhere near the cash desk. Apparently not at the Falafel Place. To me, Ami's next move seems to capture the mood of the Falafel Place to a tee.

Ami turns his head both ways in search of a gift certificate and spots one stuck to the wall. He pulls it off, writes $25 on it and hands it to Ryan.

Ryan then says: "Uh, will this work? It says 'void' across the gift certificate."
Ami replies: "Oh right."

He then takes back the gift certificate and writes "un" before the void and hands it back to Ryan who shrugs his shoulders and leaves.



Oh how I love the Falafel Place!

No comments:

Post a Comment